Updated: Nov 12, 2020
A few weeks ago, someone sent Atlanta Film and TV a flyer for an event they were hosting. Just a flyer, with no formal introduction or what they wanted us to do with it. So much so, they took it upon themselves to send a second copy, and after the third flyer was sent, we decided to ask what the flyer was for? Their response was rather highly distasteful, to the point where the sender decided they obviously felt that Atlanta Film and TV was obligated to share their event.
I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again - Atlanta Film and TV is in no way obligated to share anything, etc. Especially if it's not beneficial for our platform and most importantly if no relationship is built.
Relationship building is essential in the film and television industry because you don’t know how the person you’re building a relationship with can help you, who they’re connected to and how they can help take your career to the next level. So, it’s ALWAYS important to present yourself professionally when building relationships with others as well as reaching out to businesses.
Here’s what we at Atlanta Film and TV ALWAYS say regarding building relationships (This is advice for any platform and or business)
ALWAYS be sure to introduce yourself.
2. Be humble in your request.
3. Be sure to include what it is you would like Atlanta Film and TV to do.
4. If you’re sending us a flyer for an event, be sure to include any pertinent background information for your event.
5. Think about how what you’re asking will be beneficial to not just only your platform.
6. Never EVER question a platform and or a business, why they build relationships with others. Especially, if they have a larger platform/audience than yours.
7. And (again) NO one is obligated to share anything on their platform if they feel it’s not beneficial.
After our unpleasant interaction with the sender and because of their distasteful responses, Atlanta Film and TV will NEVER work with this particular person. So, beware of how you respond to anyone who states how they do business.
Think about it. What could’ve happened if this person wasn’t as distasteful as they were in their interaction?
You can do so by sending us an email at email@example.com